RFC - Request for comments. This thread is for collecting opinions on some topic.
RFC: Deprecate BBCode

In the future I plan to deprecate BBCode, while the support will never really go away (to ensure old mods are still rendered correctly), new mods are not going to be allowed to use it.

Why

The code for ensuring this all runs is not that great and making a parser from scratch that would handle everything would be too difficult and for not much point. Some issues like this are a direct result of the approach we use. And this part of the code is likely the biggest reason I am holding on releasing source code for the site.

Missing functionality in Markdown

Markdown has almost all features that BBCode has, notable example that doesn't have an equivalent (yet) - colors.
Possible syntax: $[Text](#fff) You can suggest ideas for this.

Others that have already an equivalent (non standard markdown):

• spoiler - ||spoiler!||
  • center - :::cente:::
  • video - ![](url)

Others that don't have and for now I have no plan to implement:

• align
  • left/right
  • font, noparse were removed from bbcode before around V2.

What will happen?

Your mod will still function, but saving old mods will warn you that bbcode text will no longer function once you change your description/changelog/etc. This is so we can move you to a new parser that is safer and faster (due to not needing to parse twice + other reasons)

RFC
Replies

Some updates:

Discord styled spoiler block will likely be removed in the new parser, this is due to limitations in our markdown parser + wanting to support titles.
New proposed syntax:
!!! Spoiler Title
Spoiler
!!!

Color block will likely use the following snytax:

{#fff}(Test)

39 1079